Understanding Gnucash for businesses

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Fri Mar 27 16:48:33 EDT 2009

Shahar Or wrote:
> On ו', 2009-03-27 at 07:26 -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
>
>> Shahar Or wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> (I'm not subscribed)
>>>
>>> I didn't find any documentation on the area of costumers, suppliers,
>>> receits, jobs and so on. I don't understand it intuitively.
>>>
>>> Is there some non-official docs and some that I just haven't found?
>>>

>> Sections 11 through 14 of gnucash-docs deal specifically with business
>> concepts: payables, receivables, payroll, and jobs.  Read those - most
>> if not all of what you need to know will be in those sections.
>>

> I'm using gnucash 2.2.9 from svn and in the help I don't see section 11
> through 14. there's only through 9 and two appendixes.
>
> Could it be that clicking help -> contents in the svn binary launches
> the system-installed version of the help and that these sections aren't
> there?

That's possible. I can't speak for what's in svn. Documentation always
lags development.

Go to: http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml

Partway down the page you'll see the help manual and concepts guide
"buttons" - they're probably good up to 2.2.6, which will be fine for
your needs.

When you're setting up your chart of accounts, select the business
option (if I remember correctly, there are several options - it's been a
few years) - that will provide you with A/P, A/R, etc.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Cheers

Cam