fund raising and donations and annual receipts

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri May 1 14:35:37 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am just starting to use gnucash and to play around with it and
learning accounting as I go along. I was wondering if there is a way to
keep accounts for various fund raising sources.

As an example, consider that there are a number of persons and trusts
that donate money. I could create an account for each of those sources
under Income:<person or trust name>. The money coming from these sources
is then transfered to Assets:Funds account.

If this is okay, what I further would like to do is to generate an
invoice for the total money donated by each donor for the particular
year (Jan~Dec), usually the last year. This invoice is supposed to just
say that $xyz was received form Mr. John Doe (with address and phone
number) during the year YYYY, along with the receiving entity's name and
address. This information is supposed to be in triplicate on a single
letter size paper. The purpose of this invoice is let the donor file it
with his tax returns (as donations).

Can this be done in Gnucash relatively easily? I won't mind a bit of
delving into a little programming to format the report. Pointers are
appreciated. If similar examples already exist on-line, URLs would be neat.

Thanks.

ever having been read.