PROBLEM SIZING BALANCE COLUMN

_ GBoor at comcast.net
Fri May 1 19:44:11 EDT 2009

Colin, I completely agree with you.   I have worked with scores of
similar applications over the years and I have never encountered one in
which re-sizing the columns works like GnuCash.   Decidedly, this is one
area where the developers have not done what would work best.  But I had
a thought - don't know if it will work at all, but if you were to change
your type of account to something else just to work on the re-sizing
problem, then change it back, would it make a change that would transfer
over once you changed the account type back to mutual fund?   But I'm
not sure if you would lose any data, so please don't try that until
someone else tells you that you won't lose any data first...Just
thinking outloud....

Jerry in Michigan

It's all horribly non-intuitive. .  The authors of Gnucash seem to have this bizarre idea that they *have* to fill the screen, and what with that and the even more bizarre way their column sizing works it's actually very easy to lose data off the edge of the screen, and then quite tricky to get it back again!

By contrast, look at the way Excel or Access work - you change the size of any column, and all the columns to the right of it just move.  If that means you lose data off to the right, that's fine.  If you end up with a lot of blank space to the right of the final column, that's also fine - it just works the way one expects.  It's one of the rare things that Microsoft got properly right:  it's simple to understand, simple to implement, and seems to me the only sensible way of making this stuff work ...

Colin