Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Sat May 2 13:13:12 EDT 2009

> Oh yes! That's why I'm here. To do development work on yet another piece
> of software I'd much rather just use... You've already shown you are not
> open to doing it in a different way so my changes would probably not be
> incorporated into the main branch.  I would have to spend my time maintain
> my own version... Hmmm... I think I'll pass...
>
> Wow. I've been very happily using Gnucash for years now and have been
> subscribed to this newsgroup for about as long and can't remember seeing a
> spoiled-brat attitude to rival yours.

I'm glad it's working for you. Meantime can you leave open the possibility
that perhaps it's not working well for others? Apparently not. How selfish
of you to believe that your way is good enough for everybody else!

I'm sorry if you feel I'm being a spoiled brat when all it is is that I have
a different opinion than yours. You should work on that.

There's a *huge* difference between free and not free, a distinction
apparently lost on you.

Whether or not you've paid money is not the issue here. We're talking about
how the software works - not how much you paid for it.

The people who developed and develop Gnucash (and the rest of Gnu, Linux,
FreeBSD, etc.) do so  from a sense of sharing and community.

I"m well aware of that. How is this relevant? Because I said I'll pass? I
said I'll pass for a particular reason, one apparently lost on you. The key
is like you said - a sense of sharing and community. It's already been
stated that my change, if I decided to do it, would not be accepted because
it would be "hundreds of buttons" if I could quote accurately. As such
there's no sharing to be had now is there. That being the case, why
undertake the work if it would not be shared? It's a simple concept. Why did
you miss it? Why instead attack me (which might be why I would attack back -
another naturally occurring thing I might add)? Why call me names like a
spoiled brat for not wanting to perform work that would not appreciated nor
accepted? Would you do such work? Would you appreciate being called a brat
for not doing such work?

Listen, this is not a big deal (read: you guys are blowing this out of
proportion) and it's not required to have terms editable from the place that
I requested. But I was surely taken back by how quickly such a suggestion
was shot down. I thought, no hoped, that perhaps open source people might be
a little... well... open to suggestions. I guess not. But you don't have to
start calling me names for asking for something, which, paid for or not,is a
natural thing to do. Geeze you guys are apparently very uptight and thin
skinned...

 You are behaving like an aggrieved customer of a commercial product, which
you are not.

Huh? Really? Where? Because I asked for an enhancement I'm an "aggrieved
customer of a commercial product"?  I see....

Truth be told, and if you really get down to it, I asked for a way to edit
terms right there when you are selecting them. It wouldn't be that hard to
do and it would be convenient to others. Would the world stop if this is not
done. Surely not. But neither would it add "hundreds of buttons" by doing
it. Apparently you're not allowing me to h old the opinion of "this would be
a good thing do to" without having to carry the labels of "spoiled brat" and
"aggrieved customer".

I also asked that tens, if not hundred of transactions not be imported into
my data for me to clean up because they never should have been imported. How
bratty of me to ask for that!

Derek's invitation to provide some code if you don't like the way things are
is a core principle that makes the open source/free software world such a
wonderful oasis in the money-grubbing world in which we live.

Ah so you're a liberal... How cute...

You clearly don't understand that.

I clearly do understand that. You clearly don't understand that it would not
be wise to waste time providing code to a project that clearly doesn't want
and would not accept the code provided. There is a different between "work
for nothing" and "work for nothing" if you know what I mean (and apparently
you don't).

With your attitude, you'd be better off with a Windows box, buying
money-management software from Intuit or Microsoft. When you have
complaints, which you will, you will not be "imposed upon" to contribute
code. You will also have zero chance of having your complaint addressed.
Enjoy!

Actually I had been using Quicken for quite a number of years and even ahd
had many, I repeat many, of my suggestions and bugs fixed over the years.
Granted I've had many of them not addressed too.