Imported invoices and other problems...

defaria Andrew at DeFaria.com
Sat May 2 15:32:24 EDT 2009

> What is an "Invoices account"?  I see your reference to it, and I see a
> reference to it in the QIF reference
> xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/download/QIF99.pdf but I don't see exactly what they
> are.  In Q H&B 2009, what do they contain?

They contain invoices oddly enough. In Quicken H&B you can create an invoice
account. In there you get a drop down for creating invoices, recording
customer payments, credits, etc. There are also options for doing reporting,
seeing which invoices are outstanding, paid, etc.

I didn't use all the functionality there as I just have a consulting
business, thus credits, refunds, etc. rarely came into play. Generally I
would enter invoices assigning it an invoice number. There are spaces in the
form for entering the customer, invoice number, date, address, etc. as well
as lines for "items" or charges. Mine typically had only one line that
detailed what the service was for (generally consulting), the time period,
"quantity" (which for me was hours) and "price" (which for me was the hourly
rate). There was an option to design the "invoice" (mine was simple) and a
button to send the invoice via email. Doing so generated an HTML attachment
of the designed invoice as an attachment to the email address associated
with the customer.

When payments were received you applied a customer payment, which was
applied to the outstanding invoices.

Gnucash uses standard double-entry accounting.  When you create and send an
invoice, this represents an increase in income as well as an increase in
your receivables asset account.  When a customer pays you, this represents
an increase in your bank balance and decrease in your receivables.  One of
the issues I had with quicken is that it does *not* use double-entry
accounting (though quickbooks does).

I've heard this many times and on the surface I understand it. What I'm
going to struggle with is getting used to it...

>  When I go to "Post" this invoice it asks for a Post to Account and all I
> see there is "Wallet". Well I don't post to my wallet account but the only
> other option is to create a new account and the only account type is
> "A/Receivable". So I create a new account and name it Invoices. To my
> surprise it works! Now I  have two accounts, both named Invoices, one a
> bank account and one an A/Receivable account. Am I supposed to "post"
> invoices to "Invoices" a "A/Receivable" account and then enter yet another
> transaction to get the money out of the Invoices account and deposited
> into my Business checking account?
>
> It sounds as though you need to read
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accounts_receivable.

No my confusion was that I didn't know you could have two accounts with the
same name that only differ by account type. I was just surprised by the fact
that you could. I can easily adjust my expectation however.

The other thing, and I think this is inherent in double-entry accounting
systems, that the amount of transactions, and thus work, is doubled. I
understand the concept that makes is so, I'm just saying I don't like that I
have extra work to do.

If you have concrete ideas on how to improve the interface, please provide
them.

I tried and it was knocked down.