How do I recover my accounts, transactions etc.?

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Sat May 2 23:20:24 EDT 2009

Ken Heard wrote:

> I wanted to print a list of all my accounts consisting of the account
> codes and names, nothing else.  So, from the accounts tab I selected
> File>Export>Export Accounts.  When asked I assigned a file name
> (AcctsChart).
>
> When I next wanted to open my accounts folder (file name ken) all I was
> able to open was the list of accounts without entries, presumably file
> AcctsChart.  Using Ctrl-O with my acccounts file name produces only a
> blank screen.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to recover my accounts in my original file ken,
> which I hope will still have all my transactions entered since the
> beginning of 2009?
>
> If my data are irretrievably lost how would I restore most of them by
> using the the most recent back-up?

Unless something very strange has happened, your data should still be
where they were.  Use the Open feature (Ctrl-O) and select your original
file.  If you click on File, you may actually see the original file as
an option below Properties - if so, select it, and you'll be back in
business.

As to printing the chart of accounts, I can't help you - I think your
best bet may be running the Transaction Report using the AcctsChart file
you created, export the file, and edit it.

HTH

Cam