Does --add-price-quotes also get currencies ?

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Tue May 5 15:41:43 EDT 2009

I wrote:

>>> I set a cron job to automatically retrieve quotes daily a few days ago.
>>> Taking the example from the GnuCash guide, I use the command:
>>>
>>> gnucash --add-price-quotes ...
>>>
>>> and it's working as expected, except that I noticed the quotes
>>> for currencies have not been updated since 22nd April.
>>>
>>> Is this because --add-price-quotes does not retrieve currency quotes ?
>>> Is there another command line argument to do that ?
>>>

> Derek Atkins wrote:

>> Do currencies update if you click on Get Quotes in the UI?

> Yes.  So it's not a problem from Finance::Quote (?)

I've just discovered that --add-price-quotes DOES retrieve the currency
quotes as well, but not the same way as when clicking on "Get quotes"
from the Quotes Editor.

- With the command line, I get the value EUR-USD (price in USD for 1 EUR)
- From the Quotes Editor, I get USD-EUR (price in EUR for 1 USD)

As my default device is EURO, I guess GnuCash is only using the USD-EUR
values when doing exchange calculations.  Am I right ?

If so, is there a way to automate the update of USD-EUR when a new value
is added for EUR-USD (and the other way around) ?

AmigaPhil