loans from/to spouse or somebody else

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Wed May 6 21:32:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:50:06PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I have started to play around with Gnuash recently to see how to use it
| in the family. Once I get comfortable with it, I will then give a little
| how-to to various family memebers.
|
| Can somebody give some ideas how to setup accounts for personal loans
| to/from a spouse or a relative?

I use the technique described in the other reply:  I created an asset
account and record in there any money owed.  I use the same account
for borrowing as well:  when it has a negative balance it means I owe
that person.

Specifically, I have a base placeholder account for these informal
personal loans.  Under that I have separate accounts for each
individual.

This is arranged according to the principles I learned in Accounting
101 at my local community college.

-Derrick

--
\begin{humor}