GNUCASH 2.2.9 WINDOWS XP SP2 DEAD!

Kim_Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 7 06:29:18 EDT 2009

I am a happy user of GNUCash 2.2.9 on two Windows XP SP2 machines (home and
work).  I have recently purchased an HP 2140 Mini Netbook, and cannot get
GNUCash to run.  I have searched the forums and find a number of threads
about GNUCash not running on Windows successfully - but with no clear
solution.

This is what my experience was:

Brand new HP 2140 mini netbook.
Fresh Windows XP SP2 install.
Very little else installed (VLC media player 0.9.9, Eraser 6.0.4.875 RC,
Windows Live Onecare)
Installed 2.2.9 and accepted the "run GNUCash?" option at the end of the
installation.
It ran once happily with full functionality.

It has not run again, but some there are one or two GNUCash executables
running.

STOP PRESS!  It has run approximately 15 minutes after being started!  It
just started while I was typing this.

I am a competent Windows user, and can find my way around a PC.  Does
anybody have any suggestions as to what I should look for?  I am happy to do
the investigation and post the results here.  Given the number of posts on
this issue over the last couple of years - and my mixed experience over
three PC's (two run 2.2.9 well - one wonky), there is some sort of problem
here.

What should I be looking for?  How can I help the community with this
problem?  BTW, the same issue applies to the portable version of GNUCash
2.2.9.  It also will not run on my HP 2140.

Regards,

Kim Wood