Best way to handle checks issued but never cashed?

Laura Lincoln cblist1 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:43:57 EDT 2009

There are a couple of ways that you can deal with these checks.

IF you want to follow the rules then you need to check with your state
eschew rules. Most states require that you keep the checks for a period of
time and then turn the funds over to the state so that they can someday find
the rightful owner.

Having said that, if you wish to ignore that suggestion (most companies do)
then post a journal entry that basically is the reverse of the check that
was written. Debit cash & credit the original expense account. Use today's
date on the transaction since you don't want to change prior year
financials. When you do the bank rec, clear both transactions and they will
disappear from your sight in the future.

An alternative method would be if you are a cash basis company then you
could just delete those checks. That would be the easiest way to deal with
them but you lose all trace of those checks.