Reconcile does not work for me

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 12 04:33:14 EDT 2009

On 11 May 2009 at 22:25, Ken Heard said:

> Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 May 2009, Ken Heard wrote:
> >> So, it appears that the only way I can "finish" the reconciliation is
> >> by checking *all* the entries in the reconcile window as appearing both
> >> in my ledger and on the bank statements.  If so, the purpose of a
> >> reconciliation statement as a record of what has not cleared both is
> >> obviated.
> >>
> >> Finally, I found no option which permits saving "a part finished
> >> reconciliation", a contradiction of terms.
> >>
> >> Ken Heard, Toronto, Canada
> >
> > If the difference isn't zero, you can't say that the reconciliation is
> > complete. Agreed.
>
> No.  The reconciliation is complete if all the differences are accounted
> for.  The ledger balance and the bank balance are reconciled -- in
> accordance with the dictionary definition of that word -- even if the two
> balances are different *as long as the differences are known and
> recorded*.

But if the displayed difference is nonzero, then some differences have
not yet been recorded.

> If in the reconciliation process I find entries the bank has made but I
> have not, then I can make a corresponding entry.  If the reverse, for
> example I have written cheques which have not cleared the bank as of the
> date of the statement, obviously I have to subtract the amount of these
> cheques from the balance of the bank statement so that the "real" bank
> balance agrees with my ledger.
>
> In fact this information is shown in the balance pane.  What in that
> pane is called the "ending balance" is the balance according to the bank
>  which I entered at the beginning of the process.  The reconciled
> balance is what my ledger shows.  The last line, the difference between
> the two is the aggregate of the items making up the difference.  If I know
> what those items are the two balances are reconciled.
>
> So, what GnuCash calls"Postponed" I call "Reconciled".  I will
> consequently only reach the state of bliss which GnuCash calls
> "reconciled" -- and thus be able to "finish" the reconciliation as
> GnuCash uses the term -- if both my balance and the bank's balance are the
> same on the date of the bank statement.  Such a situation is rare.
>
> Now that I understand the idiosyncrasies of the GnuCash "reconcile"
> module and have reconciled myself to them, I have the following
> question:  In the debit and credit panes of the reconcile window, will
> using the "delete" button remove only the highlighted entries in each
> pane, or will it remove the entry entirely from the transaction
> register/journal as well?

When I tried it, it deleted the transaction, just like the confirmation
prompt suggested it would. What happened when you tried it?

> If the former then I can use the reconcile window to track the items
> making up the difference between the bank and ledger balances.  I know
> that items cleared in the reconcile window are indicated as cleared in the
> transaction register/journal, but it would be useful to have a list of the
> outstanding items not cleared in the reconcile window.

You mean you'd like to be able to sort on the "R" column? Sounds like
some people might find that useful, and it shouldn't be hard to
implement. Why not submit an enhancement request?

> Finally, is there a way I can have interest step in the reconcile window
> removed?  I find it easier, quicker and simpler to enter the interest as a
> separate transaction when it is paid, rather than go through that step.

So do I. I find that hitting "cancel" works just fine.

> > The option for saving a part-finished reconcile (because you have to
> > search out to find where the error is, and this might take some time of
> > sifting paperwork etc) is called "Postpone". It's on the menu.
>
> In view of the forgoing, the terminology used by GnuCash is hardly
> intuitive.  Why not remove Postpone button entirely and replace the
> Finish button with a Close button?  So what if the "Difference" is not
> zero?  It would certainly be simplify the window.

On the contrary. IANAA, and I had no difficulty whatsoever working out
what it all meant.

> Is not requiring the Difference to be zero as GnuCash does an
> overzealous attempt to be user friendly?  If the Difference is not zero
> the user will surely know about it when she sees it without such a
> forceable reminder -- and in due course take appropriate action.

If "difference" is not zero, you haven't accounted for all the
differences between the statement and your ledger. So you haven't
finished the reconciliation. That being so, IMHO "Postpone" is exactly
the apposite word to describe the action.