Entering Preexisting Shares

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 12 09:33:37 EDT 2009

Hi,

"Norman Yeh" <normyeh at gmail.com> writes:

> (Paul, my apology for posting my questions to you.)
>
> Hi Derek,
>
> Your answer of adding a column is very interesting. Pls allow me to jump in
> and ask a few questions.
>
> I am running GnuCash 2.2.9 under Windows XP with SP3. In you answers, pls
> bless me with details as I am NO accountant, and NO programmer.
>
> 1. how do I add a column in a stock account or, for that matter, any account?

You cannot.  And that's not what I said/meant.  You can add a column
to the CHART OF ACCOUNTS page to show you the current value of the
stock account.  You cannot add a column to the register.

> 2. how do I make Perl aware of what value to put in a new column in a stock
> account?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> 3. do I need to update Perl that came with GC 2.2.9 and, if yes, how?

I have no idea.

> 4. how do I update GC, Perl or OFX as I see NO "check for updates" under any
> of the GC menu items?

Subscribe to the gnucash-announce list and when new updates are
available email will get sent out; then you can download the new version
and upgrade.

> Thank you!
>
> Norman

-derek