Currency online update - broken ? (Was: Does --add-price-quotes also get currencies ?)

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Wed May 13 18:52:54 EDT 2009

Previously, I wrote:

> So now, I'm going to set the crontab to:
> 20 22 * * 1-5 env LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8" gnucash --add-price-quotes Documents/GNUCash/MonPortefeuille >/dev/null 2>&1 #JOB_ID_1

That used to work up until two days ago.  Now the currency is again
no more updated.  :-(

I tried to "Get quotes" from the Price Editor, and I also receive an
error about "Can't get Currency:USD ...".

Then I tried this from console:

Linux1:/usr/bin # gnc-fq-dump yahoo USDEUR=X
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: USDEUR=X             <=== required
      date: 05/13/2009           <=== required
  currency: EUR                  <=== required
      last: 0.7352               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 0.7352               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional
Linux1:/usr/bin # gnc-fq-dump yahoo EURUSD=X
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: EURUSD=X             <=== required
      date: 05/13/2009           <=== required
  currency: EUR                  <=== required
      last: 1.3599               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 1.3599               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

Note that with BOTH commands, the returned value
for "currency" is "EUR" (??)

As it sounds, it's not a problem from GnuCash, but more
likely Finance::Quote and Yahoo.

Is it something broken on the Yahoo side that hopefully will
soon be fixed by Yahoo ?

Or worst, is Yahoo now trying to send HTTP responses based on the
request's IP ?  (Can someone from USA try both commands ?)

AmigaPhil