Are you the person supporting QIF imports?

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:22:29 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Tom Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Thanks for self-identifying.  As someone new to GnuCash I still have a lot
> of reading to do and am not familiar yet with all the places to look for
> answers to questions I am asking that may already have been addressed.
>
> I have captured the QIF information discussed recently.  The obvious
> requirement is to build QIF records that GnuCash accepts via the import
> process and that the program treats in the expected manner.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. If you're talking about trying
to import invoices, the QIF importer doesn't currently support that and I
can't recall even ever seeing any invoices in QIF format, much less customer
data, billing terms etc.

On the other hand, if you're just trying to transfer accounts and their
credits & debits, that should be OK.

> Since I am at the beginning stages of a QuickBooks to GC conversion
> program, it will be awhile before I have anything for anyone to look at or
> test.  When I get closer to that point, will you be willing to accept some
> test data to confirm that what I think works is created the way you need?
>  While that request would come about after I had put some time into the
> project, do you have anything that you want to caution me about at the very
> beginning of the effort?

Hmm... I'm not really sure about what's currently available for processing
QuickBooks data. I think you can find some information on other threads
about ways of pulling data out and converting it to QIF with a mix of manual
and automated steps, using a spreadsheet as a go-between.

How would your program add to these techniques? Does it understand
QuickBooks IIF format, for example?

> Thanks.
>
> Tom

-Charles