Setting up accounts and reports

Ulrike Fischer gnucash at nililand.de
Thu May 14 12:56:12 EDT 2009

Am Thu, 14 May 2009 12:35:54 -0400 schrieb David Nichols:

> Hi Everyone-
>
> I'm just starting with GNUCash and I have one problem that I can't get my
> head around.  I've had no luck coming up with the right search terms to find
> the answer in the archives. I would like to be able to track /where/ I
> spend my money, and /why/ I spend my money and I can't figure out how to do
> both.

The search terms are category, categorize, categorization.

> Alternately, Is there a way of setting up an account that I can
> post transactions to that doesn't affect the balance sheet?

That's what I'm doing. If I want to flag something I add
transactions to a "reports account tree":

E.g. I not only want to separate fuel cost by cars, I also like to
know the costs of an holiday (including the costs for fuel).

In the example of the fuel I would enter such an transaction:

credit card                          100
expences:fuel                  100

reports:car1:fuel	       100
reports:holiday:09             100
reports                              200  (to balance)

--
Ulrike Fischer