"launchd's env var DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET does not exist"

Jim DeLaHunt from.gnucash at jdlh.com
Wed May 20 20:08:38 EDT 2009

Hi, folks:

Sigh, I thought I was past this problem, but it occurred again.
Yesterday, I was using Gnucash happily (gnucash 2.2.8 from MacPorts
on Mac OS X 10.5.7).

Today, when I start up gnucash, I get a message that GnuCash had an
error while loading or saving configuration information. GnuCash
can't find the file I was editing yesterday.

Here's the gist of the error message
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session:
launchd's env var DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET does not exist)

 From searching about this, I see there have been problems in the
interaction between dbus, gconf, X11, and launchctl in the last few
months. I have the latest versions of dbus and gconf, according to
MacPorts.  I have a hard time following the details.

What's changed?  Yesterday, I tried and perhaps failed to install
Finance::Quote (see yesterday's email from my to gnucash-users). I
also had MacPorts upgrade everything which was outdated.  At the end
of yesterday I shut down my computer. Perhaps this lost some state
which didn't get restored when I started the computer up today.

Any suggestions about how to proceed?  The only thing I can think of
at this point is to completely uninstall and reinstall gnucash using
MacPorts.
--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953