automatic progressive transaction id across accounts

paolo palmerini paolo at palmerini.org
Fri May 22 03:00:29 EDT 2009

dear all,
i am a new gnucash user and i am trying to promote the wide scale
adoption of gnucash within my NGO,  working in about 10 different
countries with different languages and currencies. gnucash seems to be
the right software to manage our accounts but still there are a couple
of issues that limit its unconditional adoption.

the first and most important requirement coming from my organisation
admin department is the possibility of automatic numbering of
transactions across different accounts within the same gnucash file.

from what i understand, at present gnucash provides a "num" field for
each transaction that can be manually filled by the user and can
be automatically incremented within the same account typing the
"+" key on it. however, the system does not prevent from assigning twice
the same number to different transactions within the same account or
across different accounts.

my question is: is there a simple way to achieve this automatic
progressive numbering (with the possibility of resetting the numbering
every year?). if not, where in the code would one have to put his/her
hands to add this feature?

last question: am i the only one with such requirement? is there another
way to get a unique transaction id?

thanks for any help,
p.

--