automatic progressive transaction id across accounts

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat May 23 13:35:21 EDT 2009

Hi Paolo,

I can confirm that every transaction in Gnucash has a unique ID. In fact
most entities inside a Gnucash file--accounts, transactions, splits,
currencies--have unique IDs. These are 32-character GUIDs, or globally
unique identifiers, where each character is a digit in the hexadecimal
radix. In short, you're pretty much guaranteed that every transaction in
every Gnucash file in the world has a unique ID. However, I don't think
these IDs are incremented one by one when new transactions are added. So you
can't do certain things, like calculate how many transactions there are
between any two given transactions.

Having said that, I think the transaction GUID should satisfy your admin
dept. Of course, these IDs aren't visible in the Gnucash user interface.
You'll need to open up the XML file to examine them, or have a
program/script written which does that.

HTH,

Yawar