Custom Reports and Backup

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue May 26 16:29:28 EDT 2009

Colin Scott wrote:

>In the Windows world, the file containing custom reports is saved in the
>windows "Documents and Settings" tree.  However, when it comes to backing
>up up my gnucash data, I would really like to have the reports
>definitions saved with my data, rather then buried away in some obscure
>location that no sane person voluntarily uses for anything!
>
>Is there some way of controlling where this file is placed?
>
>Colin

Not sure exactly what you are asking. Your GnuCash data is presumably
also in the Documents and Settings\youruserid TREE unless you really
went out of your way to save it elsewhere. Just not necessarily in the
same directory (file folder) in that tree. Each user's Documents and
Settings is where all their data goes (private data) unless they specify
that it go in the user share directory Documents and Settings\All Users.
Backup strategies vary. In my own case I back up the entire Documents
and Settings directory for each user on the system instead of expecting
the data from each application to be backed up separately (more work,
and besides, the same data types might be from several different
applications -- for example, a .doc file might have been created by MS
Word, MS Office, Open Office, Abiword, etc.).

If you want your GnuCash books (and the incremental save/log) in the
same directory as where the report definitions get put, why don't you
just make it so? You can choose where (what directory) your books and
their associated save/logs get put. You don't have to use the default
directory for that. I don't.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.