Custom Reports and Backup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed May 27 17:25:32 EDT 2009

Quoting "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net>:

> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 17:34:21 Fred Bone wrote:
>

>> However, the "custom report" definitions are not stored under "My
>> Documents" (which is where one is "supposed" to store one's visible
>> files, as opposed to application control data) - they go in a sibling
>> directory. In my case that's "c:\documents and settings\fred\.gnucash"
>> and there doesn't seem to be any choice in the matter. I suspect this may
>> be because Gnucash needs to find the definitions at startup, perhaps
>> before it has even looked for the data files.
>>
>> Yes it is possible to store the data file there,
>
> <SNIP>
>
> On Linux, at least, I have been advised specifically to _NOT_ store my data
> file in ~/.gnucash
> - data loss may result.

Yeah, you definitely do NOT want to store your data file in $HOME/.gnucash
however gnucash DOES put nacillary data into there, including saved/custom
reports and information about tyour data file state (open windows,
pages, etc).

The documentation specifically says that you should backup $HOME/.gnucash and
$HOME/.gconf*

Note that on windows $HOME is under that strange place....

> If you want to back up the reports etc., would a symlink work, so that the
> reports/configs also appear as a sub-directory in %DATADIR%?

Does windows support that?