GC 2.2.9 Windows XP - how to configure foreign currency for online quotes

Norman Yeh normyeh at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:31:27 EDT 2009

Dear GnuCash (GC) Experts,

I have GC 2.2.9 under Windows XP SP3.

How should I configure a foreign currency for online quotes? What I have tried but failed follows:

1. File -> New -> New Account
a. click/highlight Bank for Account Type
b. click Select button for Security/currency
c. <Select currency> window pops up
d. <CURRENCY> shown as default for Type
e. select Currency I need from drop down list

2. Tools -> Security Editor
a. click Show National Currencies box
b. click the + sign next to CURRENCY
c. click/highlight the currency I need
d. click the Edit button
e. click the Get Online Quotes box
f.  keep <use local time> default for Timezone

3. Tools -> Price Editor
a. click Add button
b. <Price Editor window pops up>
c. click Select for Security
d. <Select security/currency window pops up>
e. select CURRENCY from Type dropdown list
f.  select my currency from Security/currency dropdown list
g. click OK button
h. click Get Quotes button

Error msg:
"Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
  CURRENCY:<my currency>
Continue using only the good quotes?

Quesitons:

A. What am I doing wrong for online quotes of foreign currency?

B. For value in USD, in the Price Editor, is the Currency "USD", and Security the "foreign currency"?

Thank you!

Norman