Split credit card transactions

Robert Cussons robert.cussons at airtricity.com
Wed Nov 18 08:16:29 EST 2009

Hi all, very new to gnucash, so please bear with me.

I've found the tutorials for Gnucash very helpful, but I can't work out how to correctly enter Split credit card transactions. I found this: http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v1.8/C/gnucash-guide/cc_together1.html#cc_toget

But it doesn't show the split transaction expanded and I'm afraid I'm too dumb to work out how to do it right L

So, for example I spent £40 at a petrol station on my credit card. £30 of this was on petrol and £10 on new oil for the car. I want to be able to split these out so that I can see how much I'm spending specifically on petrol rather than general costs of maintaining the car.

Therefore I follow the webpage above and enter in the first line the total value of the sale £40 under Charge.

I then have two lines below, one going to Expenses->Car for £10 and one going to Expenses->Car->Petrol for £30. Should these amounts be entered under the Payment column as they are effectively money transferred from the two expenses categories? Doing that brings the balance to zero, as I would expect, but it doesn't then seem to show up under the Expenses categories, do you have to exit out of the Credit card window and save it for it to appear? I haven't done this yet as I've found that once transactions are saved I didn't seem to be able to delete or cancel them.

Many thanks in advance for any help.