Sorry to say Good-bye to GnuCash

Carpet Nailz carpetnailz at researchintegration.org
Thu Nov 19 13:17:58 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 12:44 -0500, BPG wrote:
> Well folks, I'm going back to that wretched Quicken.
>
> I've given GnuCash a good try (3 days straight) and I've had too many
> problems with it.
> Many have been because of my misunderstanding other have been because of
> data corruption.
>
> Maybe it's just Windows causing all the trouble?
>
> I thank you all for your help and wish you well in the development of Gnu.
> Perhaps someday GnuCash or some other open source accounting program will
> clobber Quicken and the others.
>
> Best wishes.

I haven't tried GnuCash on Windows, but it has always worked fine for me
on Linux. One issue in migrating from Quicken is that Quicken doesn't
use real double-entry accounting. I just had occasion to go back to my
original file that I migrated from Quicken to GnuCash and was reminded
of the dog's dinner such an import creates.

What I did back then was to start a new GnuCash file, define the
accounts properly, and then enter the relevant starting amounts from the
old Quicken data. This seems much better than trying to "fix" the
Quicken import file.

It is important to have a basic understanding of double-entry accounting
logic. The GnuCash documents explain this logic; an alternate
explanation is at
http://www.ericsinfotech.com/KLUG_GnuCash_Presentation.pdf

Nailz