Question about Linux.

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 22:10:12 EST 2009

--- On Thu, 11/19/09, BPG <bigskypa at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: BPG <bigskypa at gmail.com>
> Subject: Question about Linux.
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 3:44 PM
> What advantage would it be for me to
> change from XP to Linux?

To my mind, a faster, more stable operating system that gets updates for free.

> Will it run all of my Windows programs?

No, in fact it's likely it won't run any of them, however, for many many programs there are free alternatives for the Linux OS (Ubuntu specifically I'm thinking) it is also possible to run SOME windows programs through WINE (a windows emulator type thing for linux that can run some windows programs.

> Can I keep XP on my machine and change back and forth
> between Linux and XP?

Absolutely, in fact I still have Windows 7 on my laptop (I do video editing, which is something that Ubuntu, and in fact Linux in general is not yet good at.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com