Windows and Ubuntu on same system- Ubuntu runs GnuCash?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Nov 20 12:39:00 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 05:11:19PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/11/20 BPG <bigskypa at gmail.com>:
> > Ah, that's good.
> >
> > I'm downloading Ubuntu even as I type.
> >
> > Man, I hope it doesn't destroy my computer.
>
> There is always some risk doing this sort of thing.  Make sure you
> backup all important data and docs before starting.  Make sure that
> you can read your backup and all the important stuff is really there.
> Of course a disk can crash at any time so hopefully you have good
> backups anyway.

Yes.  Always have backups, preferably in a place where a crashing or
misbehaving software can't get to it, like inside a ziploc bag in the
back of your sock drawer.

One thing to watch out for while installing Ubuntu (as opposed to just
running it from the live CD is to make sure you install it in a
dual-boot configuration (so you can boot either your old Windows of your
new Ubuntu) and not install it on your entire hard disk (thereby
wiping any Windows and windows data you may have wanted to keep).

-- hendrik