Find duplicate transactions

Ken kmailuk at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 28 11:19:25 EST 2009

Hi David,

Thanks for your very detailed reply.  What you write makes sense with
regards to matching transactions.  My case is a bit more complicated.

Instead of Bank A and Bank B, I should have written Account A and
Account B as they are both at the same bank.  Further, when I download
the OFX file from my bank both accounts are in the same file.  When I
import the OFX into GnuCash, it creates:
(1) in Account A, a transaction for "Transfer from Account B"
(2) in Account B, a transaction for "Transfer to Account A"

This causes duplicate transactions and there does not seem to be an
easy way to get GnuCash to match these duplicates.  I suppose one
option might be to download each account separately in QIF format.

In any case, I was curious to know if there already existed an easy
way to find and match these duplicates.  (Perhaps my bank structures
its OFX transaction details incorrectly for usual types of matching).
I was thinking that one way might be a tool for comparing transactions
by date (+/- x number of days) and value and ignoring the subject line
(and potentially useful when the account is "Imbalance" to try to find
its matching transaction elsewhere).

Anyway, I think I will simply download the accounts separately for now.

Thanks,
Ken