Previous Year Retained Earnings to Opening Balance

Roger Miskowicz aretae at magma.ca
Fri Oct 2 20:26:01 EDT 2009

It seems to me that "Opening Balance" is similar to "Retained Earnings
from Previous Years".  What I did when migrating to GnuCash was to set
"Opening Balances" to the amount remaining in each of the balance sheet
accounts.

This seems to work fine except I don't know what to do with the
"Previous Retained Earnings" which I believe is collected since the
birth of the company.  I am also unsure about the previous year's "Net
Income".

Thanks,
  Roger

P.S.  Not sure it is relevant but I am trying to migrate from Simply
Accounting.