Status of gnucash - need for clarification

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Oct 5 04:53:41 EDT 2009

Hello.

I have today recommended gnucash, for use by a significant non-profit
orgnanisation in Australia (notsomuch a massively big organisation -
just a couple of hundred members, but, a significant organisation),
which is  inthe process of switching from using spreadsheet-based
bookkeping, to MS Access, and the person involved, advised me that, in
looking at gnucash, at first appearance, it is only in beta status.

I had understood that gnucash has been established, released, and has
stable versions, for quite some time.

However, ...

In checking, going to the gnucash web site at http://gnucash.org/, the
biggest thing on the web page, shows the latest version of unstable
gnucash, showing that gnucash is still at the unstable stage, with no
mention of any stable version of gnucash, as being available.

In clicking on the Downloads part on the left side of the web site home
page;

"Downloads
  Source code, Windows binary"

the web page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/ is
opened, which makes it clear that gnucash is still only at the beta
stage of development, and is not yet ready to be used by the
"unsuspecting public".

Could someone please clarify, exactly what is the status of gnucash?

I have been recommending it to people, for use, for a while, and, from
its official web sites it is not ready to be realeeased, or used, and,
is clearly not meant to be regarded as anywhwere near stable.

So, please clarify.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby