Status of gnucash - need for clarification

David Eisner deisner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:51:03 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have to agree that it is unfortunate that the current stable version
> (2.2.9) and how to download, install and use it is not featured
> prominently on the home page.

+1

I agree.  In the main area (i.e. the content div), before the News
section, there should a prominent notice with links to the latest
stable release and the latest development release, something like:

   Latest Stable Release: 2.2.9   Latest Development Release: 2.3.6

As it is, one must scroll down about eighteen pages before getting to
a mention of 2.2.9.  Yes, there's a Download section in the navbar on
the left, but most people are going to see "GnuCash 2.3.6 released"
before anything else.  Even if one does go to the download link first,
one sees a list of stable releases in this order: 2.2.0, 2.2.1, ...,
2.2.9.   I don't know how much control we have over the ordering, but
it would be nice if 2.2.9 were at the top.  Or perhaps something that
says "Latest is 2.2.9".  This is obvious to anybody who has been using
GnuCash, but for the newcomer, it's an additional bit of friction.

-David

--
David Eisner     http://cradle.brokenglass.com