Finance::Quote installation (on Windows XP)

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 6 10:00:38 EDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 2:34 AM, Erik Colson wrote:

> Norman Yeh wrote:
>> Hi Erik,
>> 1. Is the patch at the following URL? (Took me a while to find it :-)
>> http://search.cpan.org/~ecocode/Finance-Quote-1.17/ <http://search.cpan.org/%7Eecocode/Finance-Quote-1.17/
>> >
> yep, there it is.
> It's also available from the Finance::Quote website at http://finance-quote.sourceforge.net/
>> 2. I am running the stable GC 2.2.9 under Windows XP with SP3.
>> a. Which specific module(s) must I download?
>> b. What specific steps must I take to install the patch?
> arf. Windows XP is not one of my favorite platforms. I'm not used to
> installing perl and modules to this platform.
> Maybe other people are ?
> I can imagine you're not the only Windows user and a installation
> guide will probably be nice.
> I'm also not a GnuCash developer. That really makes me a bad mentor
> here :/
>
> I'll install a Windows virtual machine to figure this out, hopefully
> this evening. Understanding GnuCash way of using F::Q would help a
> lot, so I'll dig in the source of GnuCash also.
>
> Would be cool if the developers of GnuCash could help me and answer
> following questions:
> - Does GnuCash installation install perl (and/or F::Q) also ?

No to both. And before one can use the internal-to-gnucash-on-windows
menu choice to install F::Q, the user has to have ActivePerl
installed. A year or more ago, it had to be AP 5.8. I don't know if
things have changed, allowing 5.10 to work or not.

> - How does GnuCash find the perl it uses ?

I'm almost certain it finds first-in-path. I changed the fink
packaging on OS X to force it to the default system perl, but that was
mostly to avoid surprises with multiple perls.

> - Is this specific to the installation platform ? (is this different
> for Unix and Windows ?)

I don't think so. But the Windows instance is different in that it has
been picky about which source and version of perl.

>> I would appreciate step-by-step instructions as I am NO programmer.
>> Thank you!
> I'm working on this ;)
>
> --
> Erik Colson