Gnucash no more usable

Ken Heard ken at heard.name
Tue Oct 6 12:15:20 EDT 2009

Olivier Cailloux wrote:
> Dear gnucash users,
>
> Gnucash crashes on my computer as soon as I try to open an
> account (from an old-created file or a new file) or try to show various
> views or initiate various actions. I can basically not do anything with
> gnucash any more. It opens correctly, but then, as soon as I trigger
> some action such as opening an account, it exists without error
> message or displaying anything on the console.

> I have successfully used
> gnucash a few months ago without problems, but had not used it for quite
> a long time before re-starting it today. Naturally I don't remember what
> I changed in the meantime...
>
> Is there some way to know what is happening?

> You will find attached a log produced with
> -~$gnucash --debug --extra --logto crash.log
> and with the following actions: I clicked on "close" on the Tips window,
> waiting for gnucash to complete starting, answered Yes to the question
> whether gnucash should open my usual accounting file, considering that
> it is locked (because it was still locked from a previous crash), then
> double-clicked on the account "Revenus", which made gnucash crash. I
> guess that it is indeed crashed and not simply have its window hidden or
> something similar because:
> -~#ps ax | grep [c]as
> yields no results.
>
> When starting from console, gnucash says:
> -----
> -~$gnucash
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.
>
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> -----
>
> My gnucash version, running on debian stable, is:
> -----
> ~$gnucash --version
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.
>
> GnuCash 2.2.6
> Compil� le 2008-08-28 depuis r17427
> -----
> (It's not the latest version but I'd like to stick to debian stable if
> possible.)
>
> Thank you for any help or pointer!
> Olivier

I am also using Debian stable (Lenny) and GnuCash 2.2.6, which is the
version provided by Lenny.  I have never had the problem you are
experiencing.  I have always been able to open GnuCash from the KDE
desktop.  Just now I also opened it from Konsole and received the same
message you received, about binreloc relocation support being disabled;
but GnuCash opened anyway in the normal way.

I am an accountant, not a computer programmer; so my advice may not be
useful, but here it is in case it is.  First, your GnuCash application
may have somehow been corrupted.  After saving all your accounts and
settings in HOME/.gnucash and *elsewhere*, such as HOME/.gnome2, (be
sure to save them all), purge GnuCash, reinstall it, and replace the
dafault settings files with the ones you saved.

If reinstallation does not cause GnuCash to load, one or more of the
settings files may be corrupted.  If so it would be necessary to
reinstall GnuCash once again with the default settings files and
re-enter your settings.  Your account files should be okay, as they are
plain text.

A third possibility is that the problem may be related to Debian.  If
the reinstallation does not restore you access to GnuCash.  The problem
may be caused by the operating system.  In that case you should post the
problem to a Debian user list.

Ken Heard