Gnucash no more usable

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 7 10:26:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

Olivier Cailloux <mlsmg at ulb.ac.be> writes:

> Dear gnucash users,
>
> Gnucash crashes on my computer as soon as I try to open an
> account (from an old-created file or a new file) or try to show various
> views or initiate various actions. I can basically not do anything with
> gnucash any more. It opens correctly, but then, as soon as I trigger
> some action such as opening an account, it exists without error
> message or displaying anything on the console.

What happens if you run:

  gnucash --nofile

Does it start up or crash?  If it starts up, what happens if you
File -> Open (and then open your datafile)?

Can you get a Stack Trace?  See <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace>

> When starting from console, gnucash says:
> -----
> -~$gnucash
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> configure time.

This is perfectly normal and doesn't signify anything (honestly, we
should just turn this message off)

> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13

This just means you're running a very old version of F::Q.  Again,
nothing to be concerned about.

[snip]

There's nothing in the log that points to anything.  Try a stack trace?