Will it do invoicing / payroll?

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Thu Oct 8 14:46:36 EDT 2009

Hi Frank,

You said:

I can provide more details as I find out what Gnucash can do, and how it does it.  Be aware however that while I am familiar with Linux, accounting software, and in fact, accounting in general, is a new field to me.  My wife has done the paperwork and maintained the ledger for years.  If I am going to do a wholesale change to my current system, then I want her to benefit from this as well.

You also said:

I pay piecework, and at present, employees create their own invoices.  I need a system that will create and print invoices complete with a custom graphical header of some sort.  Invoices need to keep separate track of work done by two or more employees on the same item.  The final invoice must show the retail price to the customer, but calculate wages to the employee based on a 'flat-rate' pricing index that is only loosely tied to the final price to the customer.

My observations:
Because I am new to GC, I will let others describe to you the extent the present invoicing system can handle what you describe.  From what I have read on this site, at least some of what you want is being done now.

As an accountant I want to respond to your statement about invoices keeping track of work done by more than 1 employee.  You also talk about paying piecework.