Will it do invoicing / payroll?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 9 10:21:32 EDT 2009

Hi,

Frank_B <d.m.s at shaw.ca> writes:

> I am a full-time Linux user for the past 4 years, and have been dabbling in
> it for 8 years.  I run a small business with 10 employees.  I have outgrown
> my home-made OOo Calc spreadsheet complete with array formulas.
>
> I pay piecework, and at present, employees create their own invoices.  I
> need a system that will create and print invoices complete with a custom
> graphical header of some sort.  Invoices need to keep separate track of work
> done by two or more employees on the same item.  The final invoice must show
> the retail price to the customer, but calculate wages to the employee based
> on a 'flat-rate' pricing index that is only loosely tied to the final price
> to the customer.
>
> I run 6 to 8 Linux-only computers on two different and separate networks --
> one at home, and one at work.  I want the information generated to be
> portable between these two networks, and easy to back up.  The machines on
> the network at the shop must all be able to create invoices.  Only one of
> them should have access to 'the big picture' as to where the business stands
> at any given point in time.
>
> I can provide more details as I find out what Gnucash can do, and how it
> does it.  Be aware however that while I am familiar with Linux, accounting
> software, and in fact, accounting in general, is a new field to me.  My wife
> has done the paperwork and maintained the ledger for years.  If I am going
> to do a wholesale change to my current system, then I want her to benefit
>>From this as well.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>
> Frank.

GnuCash has no payroll module.  You would need to compute the payroll on
your own.  Nor does it perform time tracking.

GnuCash can create invoices, but it doesn't have any automatic entry.
This means you'll need to make sure you enter everything in correctly.

Also note that Gnucash does not allow multiple people to enter data
simultaneously.  Only one person can be using a datafile/database at a
time.