problem getting online quotes (not F::Q fault)

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Sun Oct 11 13:43:04 EDT 2009

> I've just realized that since 3 days, the online quote prices are not
> downloaded anymore.
> This is not a problem with F::Q, as gnc-fq-dump does retrieve the
> asked quote.
>
>  gnucash --add-price-quotes
>
> tell me this:
>
> Error: In procedure fport_flush
> Error: Mauvais descripteur de fichier
>        (Bad file descriptor)
>
> I guess something got trashed in my data file.
> Any suggestion as to what I can do ?

- I've loaded an older .xac file (before the problem to get quotes
  appeared), and replayed the logs.  All went fine, but the above
  error still is there.
  So this is not a problem with a corrupted .xac file, but more
  likely something between GnuCash and F::Q

- I tried "gnc-fq-dump yahoo GOOG" and "gnc-fq-dump yahoo CSCO",
  and the results were correct.  So Finance::Quote still is
  doing its job, as expected.

- I tried "gnucash --debug --add-price-quotes ..." in hope to get
  more info about what is going wrong, but got nothing more than
  the above 2 error lines.

- I tried to update F::Q 1.15 to 1.17 (GIT, built for my distribution
  prior to the recent 1.17 release), but no change.

- I found and old discussion about a similar problem on the list
  archive, but there is no clue in it as to how to resolve the problem.
  Derek suggested to run "gnc-fq-helper".  I tried that as well, but
  nothing was returned (I had to CTRL-C).

What else can I try ?  Where should I look ?

Note: I did not make any change in the GnuCash/F::Q/Perl installation
before the quotes stopped to be retrieved.  At first, this looked
like Yahoo has changed its web interface again.  But then, "gnc-fq-dump"
still works, which invalidate the suspicion of a change on the Yahoo
side.

AmigaPhil