Reordering transactions

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Oct 12 10:38:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior
<lcjunior at ufrj.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes I add transactions for the same day but in the end they are in the
> wrong chronological order.
>
> As far as I know, gnucash orders the transactions in the same day according
> to the creation order.
> Is it possible to reorder transactions?

I have that problem, when importing transactions from OFX downloads
from my bank. For example, I will have a withdrawal that reduces the
balance to $50 US. Then I will have a deposit (weekly paycheck). Then
a scheduled withdrawal of $75. Since the deposit went through, I have
more than enough available funds. But when importing into GNUCash, it
orders all the withdrawals together first (since they happen on the
same date), then the deposit. So it appears (in GNUCash) that I
overdrew my balance. Which is not true, as the sequence of
transactions was: withdrawl, deposit, withdrawl. Yet GNUCash shows the
imported sequence as: withdrawal, withdrawal, deposit.

How can I tell GNUCash to use the imported order, and not what it
*thinks* is the data order?