Resend: Loan payments vs financial calculator mismatch

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Oct 19 18:39:00 EDT 2009

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:17:18 +1100 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Robert Heller wrote:
> > A "fencepost error" is a computer science term (well a geeky term) that
> > refers to an off-by-one error.  Imagine this problem: you need to build
> > a fence that is 100 meters long with fenceposts every 10 meters.  How
> > many fenceposts will you need?  Hint: 10 is the wrong answer!
>
> geez Robert - when I was a kid (a long time ago) it was the telegraph pole
> problem...

I guess it still is.  But "fencepost error" seems to be what landed in
the "Hackers Dictionary" (http://www.ccil.org/jargon/jargon_21.html).
Wikipedia does list 'telegraph pole' and 'lamp-post' error as
alternitive terms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencepost_error#Fencepost_error

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933