Multiple currencies in GnuCash, Vol 79, Issue 27

rsbrux at yahoo.com rsbrux at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 12:18:37 EDT 2009

I am a little disconcerted by the recent remarks, both in the issue mentioned above and also several weeks ago, about the difficulties of using GnuCash with multiple currencies.
As an American living in Switzreland, this is an essential feature for me.  I was planning to migrate to GnuCash from a no longer supported OEM version of Quicken 2001, which Intuit customized for UBS.  After reading about the pain some users are having with multi-currency, I'm not so sure anymore.  UBS Quicken is easy to use, but has a few annoying quirks and no way of downloading data, since UBS discontinued support.
If GnuCash isn't the answer, what is?
Who is using GnuCash successfully in a multi-currency environment, and what kind of hoops must I jump through to get there?
TIA for any feedback!