Finance::Quote

Norman Yeh normyeh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:41:27 EDT 2009

Hi Derek,

I had to "move" GC 2.2.9 from an old XP SP3 computer to a new Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1 computer. I first downloaded and installed GC 2.2.9, then transferred the GC data files based on advice from several GC experts. Yesterday I realized Price:Quotes is not working and the Get Quotes button in Price Editor would not light up.

It just happened that Don asked a question and you gave an answer when I needed it :-) So I downloaded and installed the latest ActivePerl 5.10.1. But when I clicked on Start-Programs-Gnucash-Install Online Retrieval, I saw in the DOS window:

----- start of error msg
* Check Perl

'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Did not find a usable perl.
Please install ActivePerl 5.8 (http://www.activestate.com/store/activeperl)
and add the bin directory to your Path environment variable.

An error occurred, see above.

Press any key to continue . . .
----- end of error msg

I have GC and ActivePerl installed on drive E: in the same folder but each in its own subfolder. What did I do wrong? What do I need to do to get Price:Quotes to work again? Thanks!

Norman