HOW TO IMPORT OFX TRANSACTIONS

Jerry GBoor at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 15:35:11 EDT 2009

Hi there.   I was having trouble setting up my online banking with
National City Bank until I referred to the following links.   That
helped me figure it out with a direct connect so I did not have to first
download from the bank's website.   GnuCash did it for me with a direct
connect, once I set up all the parameters.  Or, maybe once you review
these instructions, you might be able to figure out the problem with the
download also?

Jerry

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct_Connect_Bank_Settings

On Oct 22, 2009, at 5:01 AM, Robert Smits wrote:

> > I've tried both ofx and qfx.

> > Well, I've looked at them and they are text files but I don't know
> > how to spot
> > any oddities.

> > When I look at the FITID fields , they do seem to be different for
> > each
> > transaction. Like this <FITID>4023

That's pretty short for an identifier that's supposed to be guaranteed
unique for as long as the account exists, but maybe it'll work.

> > Is there documentation on what I should expect to see?

The ofx spec
http://www.ofx.net/DownloadPage/Downloads.aspx
contains sample ofx files. You can probably start with any of the
versions they present because the differences between them are much
smaller than the information you're looking at. At the top of your
files there should be a VERSION: label. Most of my banks use 102 in
that field. If yours does, too, then I recommend downloading the
version 1.0.3 specification document.