Opening a New Account with Existing Retained Earnings

Timothy Wight tim.wight at kihoe.net
Mon Oct 26 20:19:41 EDT 2009

Roger

The New File Druid does not allow the setting of opening balances for
Equity Accounts.  However, if you enter opening balances for your other
assets and liability accounts using the druid it will post balancing
amounts to the equity account 'Opening Balances', however the date may
not be convenient.  I prefer to let the druid complete its work without
ANY opening balances set, and end up with a chart of accounts, all zero
balance.  A good point to save a backup copy.

NOW,  on the first date of your accounting period,  enter your opening
balances as a transfer between the Equity account 'Opening Balances' and
the respective asset or liability account.  Otherwise, if you used the
druid, edit your transaction dates.

You may also now enter transfers between other Equity accounts and
'Opening Balances', for example 'Issued Capital', 'Accumulated Losses'
and/or 'Retained Earnings'.  Once done, if all is correct, your 'Opening
Balances' account should have a zero balance.

Regards

Tim