gnucash won't open

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Oct 30 12:59:14 EDT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 16:14:11 houndhen wrote:
> Did a search but didn't see anything that solved my problem.
>
> I got the message about it could not get a lock on the database and I told
> it to open anyway and that didn't help. Then I went to my home page where
> the database is kept and deleted the LCK and LNK files that are zero bites.
> Now it acts like it is going to open but it doesn't. I can see the activity
> in the bar at the bottom before it opens but then it goes away. Now it is
> back to not gettting a lock on the file. I clicked on "open anyway" but
> nothing happens. I just tried to open it from the console and after
> clicking on "open anyway" I get the message 'Segmentation fault'.
>
> I am running Mepis 8 and Gnucash 2.2.6-2 version. I was just using it last
> night with no problems. How do I get it to open?
>
> Thanks
> Harold

Hi Harold

Do you have scheduled transactions (SX) which auto-run?

If so, one of these may be causing your problem.
Start GC with the --nofile option, edit the prefs to disable auto-running of
SXes, File->Open your data file and see if there is an SX due to run today,
and try to figure out what is wrong with it (changed one of the accounts?)

HTH,
Maf.