Both 2.2.9 and 2.3.5 on Windows?

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 3 11:01:30 EDT 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just installed Guncash-2.3.5 (Windows) to play with
>> it a little.  I installed it to a different "Program Files"
>> subdirectory than my existing 2.2.9 installation.  But
>> after it installed, I can no longer start gnucash-2.2.9.
>> When I try, I get an error message box that says,
>> "Unspecified fatal error encountered, exiting", followed
>> by another error message box that says, "Runtime error,
>> ... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate
>> in an unusual way..."  The problem seems to be that both
>> versions of Gnucash seem to use the same USERPROFILE/.gconf/
>> directory and the settings recorded there are not compatible
>> between the two versions.
>>
>> Is there some way I can tell the gnucash-2.3.5 install
>> to use a different .gconf directory?  Or some other way
>> to run two Gnucash versions without them stepping on
>> each other?
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> They use the same registry keys to point to installation location.
>
> It would be nice if we could change that, but right now that's how
> it works.

> -derek

There is a straightforward way around that using a "registry bomb" to
change the .gconf directory before GC runs:

    1) Export the registry key that defines the .gconf directory location.
    2) Put a copy of the ".reg" file in each GC directory.
    3) Edit one of them to point to a new directory.
    4) Start GC with a script that loads the ".reg" file first using
regedit or regedt32.

There is an option to regedit that makes it load the reg file silently,
so you won't have to "OK" the change each time GC runs.

Steve Besch