Startup time

Markus Melms public1 at divara.de
Thu Sep 3 14:10:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:43:15 +0100
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:25:59 -0400
> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> >Seriously, GnuCash is just a large application.  It takes time to
> >load. [...]
> >Seriously, how long is it taking to load?  15 seconds?  20?
>
> v. 2.2.6 on Linux:
>
> 20s without account opening (--nofile)

similar over here. Just stating that it's a large App does in my
opinion not help much. Would be more interesting to think about how it
could start faster.

Currently it's perceived that gnucash is just
inefficient regarding startup time. It's not taking advantage of
multiple CPU cores since it's not parallelizing anything and it's slow
on calculating reports, just to mention 2 points.

Of course there are more important things than gnucash startup time,
but I would not say "lets not improve something bad because other
applications are slow, too". And with changes being made it would
start-up significantly faster, we are not talking about changing from
98% efficiency to 100%.

Regards,
Markus