Versions on sourceforge.net

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Sep 7 12:04:34 EDT 2009

I've been releasing unstable 2.3.X versions of gnucash, leading to a stable
2.4.0 in the (hopefully) near future.  As part of the release process, I've
been putting a win32 build onto sourceforge, as well as the source tarballs.

It's recently come to my attention that sourceforge has a "Download Now"
button which points to the most recently uploaded files.  When I've uploaded an
unstable win32 build, it has become the file that "Download Now" will download.

If anyone has recently downloaded a win32 setup file from sourceforge.net
hoping to try gnucash for their personal accounts, and that file is version
2.3.X, you should be aware that these files are being released to let people
exercise the new functionality and report problems.  If you are looking for a
stable version to track your finances with, you should be using 2.2.9, and
should wait for 2.4.0.

It is possible to revert from 2.3.X back to 2.2.9.  To do this:

1) Open your file with 2.3.X
2) Select File -> Save As.  When the dialog box pops up, select XML from the
drop-down list, then enter a new file name in the bottom section of the dialog.
Press OK.
3) Exit
4) Remove 2.3.X
5) Download and install 2.2.9.
6) Start 2.2.9 and load the file you saved in step 2.

If you run into any problems with this procedure, please post to this list.

I have modified the "Download Now" button so that it refers to 2.2.9, and will
ensure that this reference is kept until 2.4.0 is available.

Phil