Quickfill Issues

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Wed Sep 9 00:06:36 EDT 2009

I think that you and the others are talking about two different things.

Fred and Derek are talking about memorised transactions, and their ideas work
there.  But like you, all my bank's QIFs are in upper case, and they get
imported as they are, including a long string of transaction IDs.  This isn't
exactly quickfill; it is more like importing what is there.

As I see it, you need either to edit the QIF (or OFX file, or whatever you use)
first, or to import it as it stands, then edit the description afterwards.  If
you do the latter, your quickfills should work.  Delete (or overwrite) the
downloaded description and start typing "Taco" as you did last time.

I have tried MSMoney only briefly, but Quicken will import downloaded
transactions and remember a description you chose before.  AFAIK, GnuCash
can't do that.

Or have I got it completely wrong -- again?

Doug.