Unspecified fatal error on bootup

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Sep 11 11:08:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:48:43 pm Derek Atkins wrote:
> Joe Hughes <joesvilla at gmail.com> writes:
> > Just installed gnucash.
> > Double-clicked desktop icon.
> > gnucash-bin.exe wants to access the internet.
> > I let it do this once.
> > Closed the program.
> > Double-clicked icon again.
> > Same thing: guncash-bin.exe wants to access the internet.
> > I tell it no.
> > Then I get the "Unspecified fatal error encountered; aborting" message.
> > "This program has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> > way. Contact support team."
> >
> > Why must this file access the internet every time I boot the program?
> > Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
>
> ORBit.
>
> -derek

As a Linux user, I have heard of ORBit as a library that I need to install,
but I have no idea what it does.  Reading what the devel package put in
/usr/share/doc gets me nowhere.  (According to Google, it is an "Object
Request Broker.")  Because I have a constant connection to the Internet, I
have probably never had occasion to see the message that the OP saw.

What is it actually requesting?  About the only thing that GnuCash needs from
the Internet is Finance::Quote, if it is being used.

Doug.