loan explanation

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 01:10:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

See below for the appropriate transactions:

T. Howell-Cintron wrote:
> I've tried following the guide and documentation but get lost along the
> way because of the complications involved in dealing with interest and
> the accumulation of assets.  I'm hoping someone on the list can set me
> straight.
>
> The situation is this:
>
> I've been given a $1000 loan, interest free, and that I'm to repay at my
> leisure.  This transaction took place before I started using GC.  At any
> point I may borrow even more money from the same source.

For the initial loan:

Date: whenever you got the loan initially
Debit Assets:Checking $1,000
Credit Liabilities:Loan $1,000

> I would like to track my payments from Assets:Checking to the loan,
> Liabilities:Loan,

For each payment:

Date: date of payment
Debit Liabilities:Loan $how much you repaid at that point
Credit Assets:Checking $same amount

Date: date of purchase
Debit Expenses:Computer $100
Credit Assets:Checking $100

> I'd like to know how much I
> owe on the loan at a glance.

As you track your activity on the loan with the above (and below)
transactions, you'll get the account balance on the GnuCash Accounts
page, or from the Assets & Liabilities > Balance Sheet report.