Best import format for regular account updates?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 13 10:50:59 EDT 2009

On Sep 13, 2009, at 7:27 AM, rsbrux at yahoo.com wrote:

> After using Quicken 2000 for many years, I am trying to switch to
> GnuCash (2.2.9 running under Windoze).  So far, the financial
> institutions I have checked with offer downloads in both OFX and QFX
> format.  Which will be easier to use for reconciling the accounts
> regularly in GnuCash?
> TIA for any feedback!

OFX and QFX are virtually the same thing -- the 'Q' means that Intuit
added some custom/private tags to the data, but the transaction data
itself is presented in exactly the same way. Since both libofx
(importing) and aqbanking (direct connections) throw away custom tags,
there should be zero difference for you.

If perhaps you meant OFX and QIF, then I recommend OFX. Among other
things, OFX transactions contain a unique transaction ID, so that if
you import transactions every week, and your bank insists on sending
you the most recent 30 days of data regardless of what you request,
then the duplicate recognition is automatic and you never see
transactions matching unique IDs you have already imported.

--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net