Creating many accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 15 11:17:11 EDT 2009

Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Dani Flexer <gnucash at daniflexer.com> wrote:
>> I have come up with a massive structure for all my accounting needs. Total
>> is over 120 accounts.
>>
>> Is there any way to batch create them from a text file or must I do a
>> manual, GUI driven create for each? Did not seem to be a mention of this in
>> any of the
>
> I'd start with the example categories (which are generally close for
> most things) and edit from there.  It would save a lot of creating
> boiler plate type things like utilities,  etc.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do Dani -- did you want to
create a new set of template accounts to provide to others, or did you
just want to have an empty account tree file that you could use to play
with your own accounts?  If the latter then you could set up your
accounts how you want them and then use File -> Export -> Export
Accounts to create a new datafile that has only your accounts.  If
you're trying to create a new template you start the same way and then
hand-modify the exported account tree to create the gnucash-xea format.

If you're just trying to figure out how to create your initial account
tree, if the provided templates from the File -> New -> New File druid
don't suit your needs then yes, you will need to create them by hand.
There's no "file import" per se that will do what you need.